Midges In The Snow

I took a walk along the banks of the Big Wood yesterday afternoon looking for midges.  I found a few sitting in the snow along the bank.  It was a warmer day; probably mid-thirties and certainly above freezing.  I watched a few fish feed on the surface in a spot I don't consider great winter dry fly fishing.

I took a few images of a midge with my 105 macro and extension tubes.  Extension tubes essentially allow me to get closer to my subject.  The midge in the two pictures below was TINY.  Probably a size 26 or smaller.  If you are wondering, as I was, what the small "blob" below where the wing extends from the body is, it is called a haltere.  A friend of mine, Pat Barrett, who happens to be an entomologist by trade responded to my inquiry of what in the world is that blob: "The blob is called a haltere.  It's the reduced hind wing found on true flies--Diptera--and it serves as the stabilizer that lets them hover and do all that other cool stuff with only two wings.  Wasps, dragonflies, mayflies, etc. all have four wings."

I will say that what I don't know is considerable.